At Bluebird Dentistry in Sandy, Oregon, we know the conﬁdence that comes with having a beautiful smile. We also know that life is hectic, and the unexpected happens. At some point in our busy lives, our natural smile may be altered due to the loss of teeth.
Treatments for Missing Teeth
There are a number of options and services available to our patients as a solution: partial dentures, full dentures, a crown, a ﬁxed bridge, or dental implants.
Dental implants are a popular treatment among our patients due to their longevity and the fact that the implants look, feel, and function like natural teeth. Gone are the days where dentures were the only way to address missing teeth!
Am I a Candidate for Dental Implants?
If you are missing teeth due to teeth grinding, gum disease, an injury, or tooth decay, you may be a candidate for dental implant treatments. Not everyone wants dentures, and often, a crown isn’t enough.
To receive dental implants, a patient must possess two things: healthy gums and a strong jawbone. If there are problems with either of these, the implants can’t be installed properly.
Missing teeth don’t always mean dentures are necessary. At Bluebird Dentistry, we care about our patients and will always help you determine the best treatments or services for you.
What are Dental Implants?
The purpose of a dental implant is to replace your missing tooth or teeth with natural-looking, long-lasting replacement teeth.
The structure of a dental implant is very similar to the structure of your natural teeth. The implant itself is a small, titanium screw which is inserted into your jawbone, acting as a tooth root. A replacement tooth is then attached to it.
If you are missing consecutive teeth or multiple teeth, a dental bridge or dentures may be a better option for you.
Types of Dental Implants
When speaking to your oral surgeon at Bluebird Dentistry, the types of dental implants will be explained to you. Your doctor will work with you to determine which ones are the best choice, and whether or not bone augmentation may be needed.
There are three main types of implants:
- Endosteal: These are the most commonly used implants. They are placed in your jawbone.
- Subperiosteal: These teeth implants are still placed under the gum but are placed on, or above the jawbone.
- Zygomatic Implants: These are the least common type of implant. This option is only for patients who don’t have enough jawbone for the Endosteal implant, and the implant is placed in the cheekbone rather than the jawbone.
What Can I Expect?
Once you and your Sandy Springs oral surgeon have discussed getting dental implants, here is what you can expect at your appointments:
- EXAMINATION: Your doctor will examine your mouth and take x-rays to be sure that you are a candidate for implants.
- IMPLANT PLACEMENT: The implant will be placed into your jawbone beneath your gum tissue.
- TOOTH ATTACHMENT: Once the gum tissue has healed, the replacement tooth will be attached to a post in the implant and checked for stability.
- If you are replacing multiple teeth, a fixed bridge will be anchored to the implants.
Please note that all Sandy Springs patients are unique, and your implant process may be diﬀerent. If you will need a bone augmentation procedure, that will be explained and discussed with you at the oﬃce.
Benefits of Dental Implants
Having one or more missing teeth can make simple things like eating and speaking more diﬃcult. Dental implants can help restore these functions and bring back your full, natural smile.
Additional beneﬁts of dental implants:
- They look and feel like natural teeth
- They are durable and easy to care for
- They can prevent other teeth from moving out of position
- They can boost and restore your conﬁdence
If you think dental implants are the right choice for you, or if you have any questions, please call our office and talk to one of the dental professionals at Bluebird Dentistry in Sandy, Oregon today!